Denny Kuiper and Jim Young discuss the up-and-down early seasons of Duke, UNC and Virginia on this week's basketball coachspeak podcast.
Welcome back to the basketball coachspeak podcast!
It's been a while, but former college coach - and current consultant to several college programs - Denny Kuiper has again joined Jim Young to give a unique perspective on ACC hoops.
At this time of the year there are generallu more questions than answers when it comes to ACC programs. That's certainly the case with the three teams Denny and Jim focus on this episode: UNC, Duke and Virginia
You can click on the player below to listen to the podcast. Below the player you'll find a detailed guide of what Jim and Denny discuss.
1:02 - 10:53 - Duke
- Denny's not sure that Duke has as many problems as Jim does.
- They talk about what Duke needs to do well to reach its potential, and whether the Blue Devils need to adjust their defensive approach.
- Jim wonders if Duke's built to thrive defensively with the way the officiating rules are being enforced.
- What's going on with Rasheed Sulaimon?
10:53 - 17:08 UNC
- Which UNC team is the real one? The team that lost to Belmont and UAB? Or the one that beat Louisville and Michigan State?
- Why is the NCAA taking so long to rule on P.J. Hairston and Leslie McDonald?
- Even if Hairston doesn't return, how much of a difference would it make if the Tar Heels at least got McDonald back?
- Did the matchups against Louisville and Michigan State actually help UNC out?
17:08 - 29:45 Virginia
- Jim is pretty disappointed right now with the Cavaliers. Denny feels differently.
- Can Virginia win by spreading around the offensive load? Or do the Cavaliers need to establish a heirarchy?
- If it's the latter option, who should be UVa's No. 1 option? No. 2? No. 3?
- Is it possible that UVa's increase in talent has been detrimental?
- Does Malcolm Brogdon need to make adjustments in his game?
- Who needs to be more assertive?
- Should the Cavaliers pound the ball inside more?