Denny Kuiper and Jim Young discuss the early season results of Clemson, Maryland and Syracuse - as well as the start of ACC play on this week's basketball coachspeak podcast.
Welcome back to the basketball coachspeak podcast!
Today we finish up our early-season tour of all the ACC basketball programs with a look at Clemson, Maryland and Syracuse. We also discuss some of the head-scratching results in early ACC play.
You can click on the player below to listen to the podcast. Below the player you'll find a detailed guide of what Jim and Denny discuss.
1:00 – 6:30 Clemson
- Denny gives his impressions of the Tigers thus far. How high could Clemson finish in the ACC?
- A big reason for Clemson’s solid start: strong play thus far from K.J. McDaniels and Rod Hall.
6:31 – 11:09 Maryland
- Why is this Maryland team so inconsistent?
- Is Maryland’s offensive balance good? Or not so much?
- And can the Terps defend well enough to be an upper echelon ACC team?
11:10 - 19:34 Syracuse
- Is Syracuse the top ACC team because of its performance thus far? Or also because it has the highest ceiling of any league team?
- Is it true that a zone team doesn’t like to be zoned? Would that explain the narrow win over Miami?
- The Orange backcourt has gone from a preseason concern to a mid-season strength.
- How tweakable is the zone defense mid-game?
- Soo … why don’t more teams play zone? Why are some coaches almost allergic to the idea?
- Why wouldn’t a team near the bottom of the ACC try to shake things up and play zone then?
- Miami-UNC. How much of that was Larranaga getting it done again and how much of it was a display of how vulnerable the Tar Heels are when Marcus Paige isn’t hitting?
- Is it possible that Leslie McDonald’s return has actually hurt Paige’s offensive game?
- Is N.C. State showing itself to be NCAA Tournament worthy?
- How do we explain UVa? Lose by 35 to Tennessee and then win at Florida State and then trounce Wake … are we now seeing the UVa team that Jim thought we would see?